47 minutes ago
Friday, November 2
Friday Five- Dreaming
1. If you suddenly received a ton of money and could open up some kind of store or service just for the pleasure of having it (assume it wouldn’t have to be too financially successful!), what would it be?
A custom framing shop with a show case area for local artist. When I did work I was a custom framer, I loved the job. Helping others pick out the right look for what ever they were framing to doing the actual work. I've always said if I were to open a business that is what I would do. And maybe add an adjoining portrait area. All these years later I still find myself inspecting work on the walls of others, businesses and etc. May have to be a Four in One store, for Hubby and I have always talked about buying an older house with wrap around porch and having a coffee house. Downstairs would be the business and we would live upstairs.
2. What service or store that no longer exists do you miss most?
Hmmm good question. Having to think on this one, wait nope Used Book Stores. They seem to have dwindled and are hard to find. Those simple quaint homey type of used book stores. I have had to resort to the thrift stores for used books or online.
3. What local business do you think you could make better if you were to take it over? And if you don’t mind sharing, what changes would you make?
I don't know about making better any. I wouldn't want the stress and in this economy any business is a huge undertaking. I am sure I could do some good, but the price wouldn't be worth it in my mind. I am obsessive when I work and prefer working at loving those in my life being there for them.
4. What spot nearby seems to be impossible for businesses to survive in?
I don't know of any "nearby", things have been growing around use business wise for some years now. They opened an open air mall just across the main road from us. Though the Best Buy and the Circuit City quickly went out of business. There is the old Ukrops Store that has sat empty since they relocated less than a quarter mile away from it into a newer much larger building. Not sure why but nothing has filled that spot in several years.
5. We’ve all seen stores that combined books and records, beer and laundry, or coffee and whatever. One of my favorite places to get coffee in Honolulu is a cafe and florist, and there is a car garage that’s also a diner in a town nearby. What would be a cool hybrid of two disparate ideas for somewhere you’d like to hang out?
Drawing a blank here. Though I have always thought Sonic and Jiffy Lube should merge up, that way you can have your meal while your oil is changed. Why is it the majority oil change shops, or car maintenance shops are always solo with nothing close by while you are car-less?

1 blogments:
I worked in a frame shop too, and almost twenty-five years later, I still look critically at frame work I see on others' walls. :) A well-chosen mat with a perfect reverse bevel always impresses me.
Post a Comment
Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment :) Though I may not reply to each individual comment I do read all of them.