Pages

Monday, September 17

Collecting History

Many of us out there have some sort of a collection or another. Be it a line of figurines, collector cards of some sort, or something completely off the wall that became attached to us for some strange reason that can't even be recalled. Some have collections that have been carried out generation after generation with in a family and passed down accordingly. For others it may be an obsession of the hunt. Needless to say there are many reasons and types out there. What's yours?

For me since as long as I could remember I collect two things- turtles and necklaces.  Nothing fancy or valuable, but things I found pretty or neat. Turtles were actually something my parents started for me when I was born. Ironic though how I grew up forming my own fondness for the turtle and the depth of symbolism a turtle has, despite the little knickknacks that surrounded me. With necklaces, well they seemed to give me super powers at a young age making it where I could face anything as long as I had a necklace on. At festivals or trips I take I make sure to pick up a necklace. Each necklace I own holds many memories- from loved ones whom have gotten them for me to the experiences or milestones connected with finding them.  In many ways these "collectibles" are treasured portals to my own past and journeys. 

As I grow older, or better said wiser, I truly wish I had kept closer care of these items.  Realizing now how precious each one has been to me, like a notch in the timeline of who I am.  I finally smarted up and purchased an actually jewelry box a few years back for my necklaces. It was instantly overfilled upon bringing it home though. Some items  have been destroyed, others lost  and a few others left behind due to moves or displacements.  One move almost 10 years back I had to downsize greatly my book shelf, as well as our home. We had to fit a 2 bedroom home into a pull behind u-haul trailer and what we could fit in our vehicles. Not an easy task especially when the bed , washer and dryer  took up half the trailer as well as the sewing machine table my grandfather had built I refused to leave behind. Add in the required living items from bedding, clothing, kitchen essentials, and hubby's tools. I had two tubs consisting of childhood memories between myself and hubby. One tub was all I was allotted for my books. 

So all this rambling finally brings me to the point of this post.   I am embarking on a journey in the name of collecting. Books. This is something I have always wanted to do, and thanks to my little sister for sparking action in this I am slowly beginning my journey. Though not just any books but First Edition Classics. (or at least classic qualified by me lol) Many years back I wanted to start doing such after having my hands on a First Edition of The Canterbury Tales. But at several hundred dollars for one book, in border line poor condition I gave up such pondering.  I can't even stand to pay twenty bucks on a dress there is no way I could spend so much money on books. That's the whole reason I don't own an ebook reader. I typically purchase my books used or at a bargain price. So what I am doing is slowly starting to purchase them and hunt for good deals.  Meanwhile I am also hunting for Atlas books.  By doing such not only am I entering a journey but also an adventure. Acquiring in print glimpses back into our history as a world . Collecting bits of ever changing history that is out there laying wayside to modern technology. For our past is just as important as our future. I am excited to see what comes in the following years from such hunts, shall prove ever interesting.  

0 blogments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment :) Though I may not reply to each individual comment I do read all of them.

 
Copyright 2010 Bloggity Blog Blog. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by DeluxeTemplates.net
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator
Blogger Showcase