Pages

Wednesday, April 10

WHP- After Break


1. Share one fun thing you did last week, while the Hodgepodge was on 'spring break'.
Had my niece spending her Spring Break with me. There wasn't one particular fun thing for the whole visit was great. Though we were so busy we never got to do a photo shoot like I wanted.  Titi is still recovering.


2.  April 10th is National Sibling Day...do you have siblings, and if so are you close? Share a favorite story featuring one or all of your siblings. If you don't have siblings, did you ever wish you did?
Wasn't aware of Sibling day, they really do have a holiday for each day anymore don't they?

Yes I have several siblings. I am closest to the Baby Sister of the family. At times she is more like a daughter than a sister.

A favorite story? Hmmm pondering on this. We will go with the youngest for it is a tale often told and goes with my previous statement. When I was a teen and dating my now hubby my Baby Sister would tag along with us frequently. On one occasion it was a family trip to the mall. Of course me and my hubby trying to part from the group walked on ahead. Suddenly there is Baby Sister running after the two of us screaming, " Mommy! Daddy! Wait for me."

3. Is it important to you to 'buy American'? Why or why not? How much of an effort do you make to 'buy American'? If you're not American, insert your own country in the blank. 
I try my best to buy american, but sometimes my funds available doesn't allow for it.  Though I don't shop new often as it is, preferring thrift stores or second hand purchases.

4. Besides The Bible, what book has impacted your spirituality in some way?
The Shack by William P. Young - This book came during a depressing time and was something I could so relate too. Not only that but for the first time I found something that helped explain how I had perceived things for so long, but grew up being told such things were wrong that there was only one way to believe. Also such an amazing lesson in unconditional love.

5. April showers bring May flowers or so the saying goes.  Do you find rainy days calming or depressing?  When were you last caught in a rainstorm? What's blooming in your neck of the woods today?
I enjoy rainy days, especially spring rainy days where I can have windows open to the sound of rain falling. They give me an excuse to be lazy and relaxed.

Oiy! I can't recall the last time I was caught in a rainstorm.

As for blooming, daffodils and trees are sprouting leaves.

6. What's your favorite yellow food?
AppleSauce! Really it's the first thing that popped into my mind. It's yellowish right? Mmmmmm grilled Pineapple! ~drools into a daydream~

7. April is National Poetry Month...what's a poem that holds special meaning for you, and why is it special?
I have a few special poems. One written by my dear friend for it reminds me of my potential within. And then there is a poem I wrote before hubby and I got married to hubby that I love and others have asked to use, one guy used it to propose.

8.  Random:
Currently Baby Sister and I have embarked on tracing our ancestry on the maternal side. So far it has started off with some surprise finds, for example learning what our grandfather's  name is, whom we never met. And that fact he passed away last summer! There also seems to be a lot of holes and lies we had been told about the past. It's a bummer we have no contact with relatives and our mother, well just can't be trusted or approached. The family has always been hush hush and no asking questions type. So we are going of the little information we have. So far in the early starts I have found so much already. Surprisingly the number of relatives in military. I found it interesting that both sets of Great Grandparents arrived in USA in early 1900's.   Has anyone ever traces their roots? Any tips or resources that might help us in our search?  I've got my Nancy Drew hat on and sifting through the cyber files available that are allowing such a search to happen.


6 blogments:

Nani said...

I will suggest to be careful and double check what you find on Ancestry.com. I won't pay for the "tips" they found because I now some of the information is wrong. That being said, I have a ton of old photos that I want to find out more about. It's really fun to find out the things about your family!

I didn't think of pineapple either! I love pineapple!

Anonymous said...

I haven't traced back my ancestry, but my Great Uncle has on his many trips back to Scotland (he lives in Australia). When I visited him and his wife in ustralia he showed me some of his finds - like that we had a relative who died on the HMS Iolaire - one of the great tragedies of World War I and one of the worst maritime disasters in history. I'm totally obsessed with 'Who Do You Think You Are' it's incredible what they can find out. I'd love to know more about my Nana's side of the family as I think it could be interesting.

Sammie said...

:::::::Nani- I haven't even gone the ancestry.com route yet (free is all I can do currently) . Been using Familysearch.org, public records, findagrave.com , and ellisisland.com. The rough part will be before 1900, then need to look out of country. Luckily Surnames are unique at least in US.

While in my search I did see a site about old photographs : familyoldphotos.com , It might be something to help with your photo figuring.

Sammie said...

:::::Sophie- It has been an interesting journey so far! I found the name of the town in Slovakia one set of great-grandparents came from. I can not wait to see where this adventure takes me.

Chatty Crone said...

Sounds fun when you had your niece there for the week! sandie

Joyce said...

My dad traced our family roots back a long way. It's interesting to read... My sister put it into scrapbooks for all the sibs. Glad you had fun with your niece!

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment :) Though I may not reply to each individual comment I do read all of them.

 
Copyright 2010 Bloggity Blog Blog. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by DeluxeTemplates.net
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator
Blogger Showcase